You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

The town of Moulton was established in 1869 and was named after John Benjamin Moulton,  a civil engineer who worked for the Wabash railroad. He helped locate and construct the northern branch of the Wabash that ran through Moulton. 

Moulton is proud to have a city library which was built in 1969 with a monetary gift from the late John M. Garrett and matching funds raised by the Moulton community.  Books were contributed by local clubs, organizations, residents and former residents. Mr. Ambrose Hill was Garrett Memorial's first librarian. Charter library board members were Phyllis Cosby, Erma Wood,  Ambrose Hill, Katherine Bassett, and John M. Garrett.

In 2004 money was was raised through grants and donations by local and area businesses and townspeople for the construction of a new addition to the library. As a result, a spacious commons room is available to our residents and local organizations, businesses and clubs for use without charge.

The staff and trustees of Garrett Memorial Library have worked hard over the years to achieve state accreditation and have managed to maintain the high standards set forth by the State Library of Iowa since 1999. We strive to stay current with the latest books, audios, and DVDs, as well as adult and children's programming. We were the first library in Appanoose county to have a public access computer connected to the Internet. We now have 5 public access computers 3 of which are connected to the internet.